Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Morning revelations

There are some who lament the absence of family members who cannot be with them during this holiday season. I believe it is important to enjoy the presence of  the people who can be with you. It is sooo vital, my friends, to be thankful for every day you are feeling well enough to look around and count your blessings. So I choose to see the glass as half full and although I will miss those who cannot be here, I plan to thoroughly enjoy the company of those who are willing and able to celebrate the holidays with me...



like this little lamb who visited with me this week and helps me to recognize the importance of living in the moment.







.  These last few weeks have been filled with holiday preparations.  I do so love to unwrap the boxes of vintage ornaments collected over the years.  My favorites are the petite ones I display on a small golden tree, placed safely upon a table out of the reach of the littlest one. 



These next few days will be consumed with preparations for my annual Christmas Eve dinner.  The Italian tradition of a seafood extravaganza is alive and well.  I will serve the traditional family fare of linguine with clam sauce, calamari with peas and Shrimp Danielle.  I have, however, discarded the preparation of baccala (dried, salted cod).  I compensate by trying a new dish every year.  Last year I prepared Fritto Misto di Mare (Mixed Fried Seafood )and while it was absolutely delicious, it was quite labor intensive considering my guest list topped out at 25 people.  This year I will prepare Dungeness crab roasted with herb butter.  I always test my recipes with my family before deciding on the final menu and this one was well received. 



And so I am off…to generate shopping lists, finish the final gift wrapping, clean my house (necessary but not my favorite activity), set up tables etc.  My guest list is currently at 18 for this year and while I will miss the Alpine sisters, the celebration will go on.

No comments: