Thursday, February 24, 2011

Oppression

It is often easier to become outraged by injustice half a world away than by oppression and discrimination half a block from home.
Carl T. Rowan






I realize that this piece is a far cry from my recent work but the turmoil that is occurring in the world cannot go unnoticed.  I created this piece because I believe that nearly everyone experiences oppression in some form in their lifetime, be it physical or psychological.  Turning a blind eye only serves to promote further oppression and makes us co-conspiritors.  So this piece speaks loudly and, I'll admit is even a bit frightening, but if it pushes one person to stand up for another, then it has served its purpose.


Now I say that with cruelty and oppression it is everybody's business to interfere when they see it.
Anna Sewell

No comments: