Wednesday, October 12, 2011

two swans in process



To follow, without halt, one aim: that's the secret of success. 
- Anna Pavlova


I am in the process of creating two new pieces.  One will be donated for a silent auction for the Futures Foundation, an organization dedicated to enriching the lives of people with disabilities.  My dear aunt Carla, who passed away earlier this year, was never happier than when she was attending one of the many dances they hosted.

The second piece will be  part of my next solo show which is slated to begin December 1, 2011 at Lennon Photo in newly revamped downtown Lake Orion.

While both swans are nearly identical aside from the colors, the backgrounds will be unique to each piece.  The original photo is of Anna Pavlova.  Below are close shots of some of the ephemera...

The music score is from what I believe to be a student's hand written note book.  I found this treasure at a open air flea market in Sienna, Italy.  The paper looks to be quite old and is thick with wonderful deckled edges.  

This page is from an old Italian religious book dated 1764.  Frankly, it is in such terrible shape that I have absolutely no regret about using it in my collages.  The pages have a high linen content and are almost impossible to tear.  I love to use various types of papers in my collages as they take paint differently and add interesting texture.

I will be finishing these pieces by week's end and will post the finished work.  

In other news, the above piece entitled Idol Love received an honorable mention at the Orion Art Center Portraits & Pottery Show.  I am delighted,  as the artwork submitted by the members of my community was impressive.  

No comments: