Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Crafting with Kapok

I have been enamored with Kapok fiber for some time now and wanted to share my passion for this natural batting.  Kapok fiber is a silky substance that surrounds the seed pods of the Ceiba tree, which is harvested in the rain forest and provides jobs to indigenous people.  






This fiber is  lightweight, nontoxic, mold resistant, odorless and a sustainable resource.  The only issue I have when working with it is the way the fibers float through the air during the stuffing process.  A simple filtering mask solved that problem.  The end result is a pillow with all the qualities of down but with the added advantage of being hypoallergenic.





So below are pics of the new, decorative bed pillows I made to match my sunny yellow and white duvet cover...





I encourage anyone who has a desire to experience the satisfaction of creating with or purchasing eco-friendly products to visit white lotus home.  

1 comment:

Terri Morse said...

Love these fabrics! You do beautiful work! Terri